Saturday, April 4, 2009

Hey, this CFSB shit works

I'm certainly not the first to say it, but it was the first time I got to test it myself. I'd gotten "PRs for reps," while working through the program, but I hadn't gone after a 1RM before this week. Thursday's shoulder press test was unsatisfying, due in no small part, I'm sure to the inconsistency with which I worked it (5 times in the last 7 weeks and not at all for the 5 weeks after I set my PR in December). My squat, on the other hand, has been getting lots of love and attention from ME sessions, to DE box squats, to sets of 20, and a handful of new 5RM efforts, but I hadn't done ME sets of less than 5 since January. Today, I got to see how those lighter weights translated to the truly heavy stuff. As you might guess by now, the anwwer is: quite well, thank you.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Warmup
Row 500m D6 144.5
Hip mobility drills

Heavy stuff
Back squat 45x5, 135x5, 185x3, 225x2, 275x1, 295x1, 305x1 (PR), 315x1 (PR), 320f

A little more aggression and I would have had that 320. I got stuck halfway up with my form locked in solid and held it there for a couple of seconds, but couldn't push through. If I'd hit it harder to begin with, I'm pretty sure that would have gone up too. Still, I'm very happy with this.

Skill work
Handstand practice 8:00

Need to do some shoulder mobility work ahead of time next time. I'm getting pretty solid, but I just don't have the range of motion to lock everything out where it needs to be to make these easier.

Metcon
3 rounds:

    Row 500m
    50 squats
    25 DB swings, 55#
13:56

That was rough. The swings were hard, but unbroken. The squats got broken every round. I was really feeling the heavy stuff. Still, the performance wasn't half bad. I'm planningto give metcon more attention between now and the Games, and hope to have this workout under 12:00 by then.

Core work
GHD 2x15

5 comments:

STEVE LAMPL said...

Patrick,

Nice Blog! Congrats on the strong BS RP!

Unknown said...

Nice, Patrick! Setting two PR's in one session.....kick ass!

I love swings, whether they be DB or KB. They hurt so much in the downward part for me, but I know once I get into the upward swing.....it's all good. So I just push through them to minimize the time in the downward motion.

John said...

Congrats on the BS PR. I really thought you had the 320 attempt. Your 315 went up like cake.

As for that metcon, I'll be thrilled to get my time anywhere near 15 minutes next time out. Great job!

JB

Patrick Haskell said...

Well, John, 305 went up nice and easy, but 315 didn't feel that easy from under the bar. However, I thought I had that 320, too, but I just stayed there halfway up. The nice thing is that I didn't break form in the least, just stayed there with a the hamstrings and glutes fully engaged and a locked back angle. I just couldn't stand all the way up. Next time for sure, but I won't push singles until I think I can get 330.

Hey, Toots. The downswing is where it's at. The battle to control that accelerating weight while maintaining scapular retraction, a neutral spine, and weighted heels is what makes the swing such a good exercise (and what makes the power swing even better - so go ahead and push on through that negative). I really need a proper set of KBs, because there's so much potential there that I've yet to tap.

ET said...

Yes I have to agree CF with Strength Bias is good stuff. I am getting stronger and my met con isn't suffering tooooooo much.