Sunday, April 26, 2009

What a difference a day makes

Yesterday felt so lousy that I figured I should hit a day reminiscent of the CFSB program and see if I didn't fall back in the working mode, instead of the whining mode. I did declare "CF Sucks" again after round 1 of the metcon, but I kept after it. It wasn't a goat fest, but aside from the short time domain, I wasn't exactly playing to my strengths. Felt good to go hard and heavy. Now, to do it again tomorrow.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Warmup
Wind sprints
Air squats
Sampson stretches
Shoulder mobility drills

Heavy stuff
Bench press 45x5, 95x5, 135x3, 165x2, 185x3, 195x3, 205x3, 210x2

Got a new 3RM and 2RM in there despite not working bench since Fall. Gotta love how strength transfers from one movement to another.

Box jumps for height

Got 37 inches pretty readily, but the next jump was to 47 inches, and there's no way that was happening. Did a few horizontal tire-to-tire jumps too. Good fun, but not exactly a workout. Here's photo sequence of John hitting the 37-inch jump.






Deadlift 135x5, 185x3, 225x2, 265x2, 275x1

Metcon
5 rounds:
    5 Deadlift, 275#
    10 Burpees
6:26

Nice cycling of burpees. I have a lousy habit of landing from the jump and then dropping into the bottom of the squat. Today that only happened two or three times, and that made for a halfway decent time on this WOD - despite me stopping to valsava with every DL rep.

Here's hoping I can get in a workout tomorrow and build on this momentum.

6 comments:

jenna said...

I did that DL/Burpee WOD today too! My DLs felt super weak today...yikes.

I hope you get in a workout tomorrow, too! Keep it up...just under 4 weeks to go!

Unknown said...

thanks for the advice on my blog, bro. :) That DL/Burpee workout is a killer. Its one of those that you look at on paper and think it isn't so bad and then you actually do it and wish it was over. Your time was tremendous as well.

John said...

Very nice workout. I was totally hammered to get my lousy time and you just blew me away.

Nice tire setup BTW! I'd say you were easily clearing 40" on your jumps. I bet 42" is doable right now (for you, not for me lol.)

Peace,

JB

Jenn said...

Great workout, Patrick. Hope you can build on this - it sucks when it seems your motivation has dried up.

I have yet to try the DL/burpee WOD, mainly because I just hate burpees. I really need get over that, if for no other reason than prove I can overcome the mental block.

Patrick Haskell said...

Jay,

John's comment about this workout is that it looks shitty on paper and was even worse in reality.

Thanks for the props.

Patrick Haskell said...

One solution for burpee hatred, Jenn. Do more of them. Burpee-box jumps, burpee broad jumps, burpee clean and jerks, manmakers, and plain old-fashioned burpees. Sunday marks the first time I felt like I did them well.